Reblogged: from Shine FlashRoasted Vegetables and Pasta
The addition of mushrooms and fennel add enough depth to this dish to make it a bona fide main dish. Roasting caramelizes and sweetens the juices from the vegetables, resulting in a heartier overtone and overall flavor. Use whole-grain pasta to add even more fiber to this entrée. Topping it with the optional cheese will give this dish a bit more protein
2 pounds assorted mushrooms, such as chanterelle, cremini, and/or oyster, cut into chunks 1 large red onion, cut into 6 or 8 wedges 1/4 cup olive oil 8 ounces pappardelle or Mafalda pasta Freshly shredded Parmesan cheese (optional) 2 medium fennel bulbs, trimmed and cut into wedges (about 1 lb. trimmed) 8 ounces baby carrots with tops, trimmed 2 tablespoons Fennel-Spice Mix (see recipe below) 3/4 cup dry white wine
Preheat oven to 425 degree F. Place mushrooms, fennel, onion, and carrots in a large roasting pan. Combine oil and Fennel-Spice Mix. Drizzle over vegetables; toss to coat.
- Roast, uncovered, for 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring twice. Remove roasted vegetables to a very large bowl.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta. Add pasta to bowl with roasted vegetables. Add wine to roasting pan. Cook and stir over medium-high heat, scraping up any browned bits, about 3 minutes or until wine is slightly reduced. Pour wine over pasta mixture and toss well to coat. Top with cheese. Makes 6 to 8 main-dish servings.
- *Fennel Spice Mix: In a small skillet over medium heat toast 1/4 cup fennel seeds, 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, and 1/4 teaspoon cracked peppercorns for 1 minute or until fragrant, shaking the pan occasionally. Cool thoroughly. When completely cool, grind in a spice grinder or blender with 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt or kosher salt.
- 4 Quick and Easy Pasta Sauces (williams-sonoma.com)
- Recipe: Roasted Balsamic Vegetable Pasta with Mint & Yogurt Recipes from The Kitchn (thekitchn.com)
- Salad Dinners for Hot Days (jovinacooksitalian.com)
- How To Make Cauliflower Taste Good. (jovinacooksitalian.com)
- Day 149 – Pasta with Ham and Roasted Asparagus (yearofhealthierliving.wordpress.com)
- Roasted pasta (cibomatto.wordpress.com)
- Roasted Shrimp & Fennel Pasta (escapeeatenjoy.com)
- Recipes for Summer (ourcontentnest.wordpress.com)
- Spring pasta with lemony, garlicky, buttery walnut sauce(YUMM) – The best pasta EVER! (zaikazabardast.com)